Wednesday, December 24, 2008

CHOP CHOP

I started realizing back in June that D.'s hair was in desperate need of a trim. Or a big cut. Half of me wated it to be cut, the other half of me couldn't believe that I was capable of having a child with long hair (something I had wanted for myself all through growing up--to the point where I asked a doctor why it wouldn't grow). But her hair was getting harder to manage because the top of her hair was straight, the middle layer was wavy, and the bottom layer was curly. So the overall look was that it was constantly messy, even after we'd combed it (because the top straight part was the part that was the longest, and nastiest).

I wanted to get her hair cut professionally, so that I could watch and learn how to take care of her hair better, so that it didn't look constantly messy. But, we didn't have the $$ and she wanted me to do it myself anyway.

We waited until after Halloween (because I wanted to straighten her long hair for the costume).

Then I called my friend Megan, who has been a hair dresser for years, and consulted with her about how to layer hair. I knew that I needed some of the bottom (or at least middle) layer of her hair exposed, in order to show the bounce and waves in her hair (so that it wouldn't be disguised as being completely messy).

Anyhow, I hope I didn't do a bad job. If I did well, it was because of Megan, if I did badly, it was because of me! :)











Sorry that was such a long explanation. It was a really big deal to me. I already miss her long hair, because I love playing with hair and doing fun things, and there's only so much you can do with shorter hair (and layered). But, it's easier to comb, and I can even send her to school without doing her hair (or combing it) and it looks the same as it would have if I had combed it (more or less).
And it was extrememly helpful when combing through it for lice later on that week. Again. More on that later.

1 comment:

mrs. m said...

i think you did an awesome job!! woo hoo!!