Saturday, September 15, 2007

A little about my other daughter


I don't write as much about D.. There's a couple of reasons. One is that everything that's new to I. is new for me. I'm trying to figure out life just as much as she is. That's not to say that when D. goes through things they're the same. I have to figure things out too, but I'm a little more comfortable doing it; it's more like a variation on a theme.

The next reason is because she is different (obviously). I mean, she feels things differently. She holds things in really deep, and I feel like I have to protect that. She's a very sweet and sensitive girl who says hilarious things, but there are things I don't want to share sometimes, because it feels too personal. I. shares things with other people freely, and I wouldn't write anything she felt too deeply about. There just isn't as much to keep to ourselves about her.

The interesting thing, is, when do I keep their personal stories out of everything? I mean, at what age? I certaintly wouldn't have liked my mom sharing all of my struggles, mistakes, etc. publically like this. Not even when I was 9 years old. I want my kids to know that they can have trust in me, and that they can freely talk to me and share their feelings without fear of them being broadcast. But at the same time, it's nice to be able to go through things for the first time with the support of friends and people who have already gone through issues.

Any thoughts on this?

By the way, yesterday D. said to me, "Your hair is beautiful, the way it's long, wavy, and soft," all while stroking my hair. I love the way her compliments are never generic, and they are always specific.

3 comments:

The Duke said...

I mentally struggle with the same dilemma. How much is too much? And when is too old for what?

No answers here.

stina said...

I've started thinking about that, too and I don't know the answers. Especially since we use the blog to share with family and as a sort of journal, I'd hate to sensor everything. But, its still too public for a lot of things...

Ixchelle said...

R. You are doing a great gob with those girls! D. is very sweet! I can't believe how great she expresses herself!